- 1/2 Recipe Lebanse Pita Dough
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt (optional)
Directions – Meat Pie Dough
- For the meat pies, a half recipe of Lebanse Pita Dough is used. I cut all the ingredients in half except for the yeast and the 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. I use a stand mixer to make the dough.
- To use a stand mixer for the recipe, assemble all of the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and start the mixer. Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and then slowly add the water.
- Knead the dough on a low speed for 10 minutes. Add the olive oil and continue to knead for 5 more minutes or until the dough forms a ball.
- Once the dough forms a ball, remove from the mixer and coat the dough ball with olive oil. Place it into a bowl, cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm area to rise for 2 hours.
Directions – Meat Pie Filling
- Assemble all of the ingredients prior to starting the filling. To prepare the filling, place meat into a skillet over medium heat and begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Once the meat begins to brown, add the onions and continue to stir. Cook for a minute or two and then add the pine nuts, continuing to stir.
- Cook for another minute or two and then add the spices, continuing to stir until the meat is completely browned.
- Once the meat is browned, add the lemon juice and conitue to cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- At this point, remove the pan from the heat. if you are using the yogurt you can stir it in at this time. Place the meat mixture into a bowl and cover. Refrigerate for at least 90 minutes prior to assembliong the meat pies.
Directions – Assembling and Cooking Meat Pies
- Preheat the oven to 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the dough has risen, divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. Cover the cut pieces of dough with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out while assembling the pies.
- Each meat pie is rolled separately. begin by taking one of the 16 pieces of dough and rolling it into a ball. Flatten the ball and then roll it into a 6-7 inch circle.
- Place 1/8 cup of filling into the middle of the dough circle.
- To fold the pie into a triangle, bring a third of the dough circle up onto the pile of meat.
- Bring another third of the dough up to the meet the first portion and press the seam together firmly .
- The last third can now be folded up and the seams pressed together with the first two.
- Press all of the seams together especially at the tips and middle of the pie. The pie must be sealed tightly or it will leak during baking.
- Place 5 or 6 meat pies onto a sheet pan and cook at 550 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 minutes.
- Allow pies to cool slightly before serving. Pies can also be served cold or frozen for later use.
Makes 12-16 meat pies
- Don’t forget to refrigerate the filling before assembling the pies. The pies will turn out soggy if the meat mixture is too hot.
- These meat pies would traditionally be made using lamb but our family has always used ground chuck.