- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Form half of the sausage into two large patties and place into a skillet over medium-high heat. Flip the patties after 3-4 minutes and add the remainder of the loose sausage to the skillet.
- Stir the loose sausage frequently to help it brown evenly and to keep it loose. After 3-4 minutes, break up the sausage patties into 1/2 inch chunks and continue cooking until everything is browned.
- Add the butter to the sausage and stir the sausage until the butter has fully melted.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir to coat.
- Add the milk, cream salt and pepper to the sausage and whisk the mixture making sure to get all the sausage bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Continue to lightly whisk the gravy until it starts to bubble and thicken. Once the desired thickness has been reached, turn off the heat and taste. Add additional salt or pepper as needed.
- Serve with the biscuits. Split a biscuit in half, lay the biscuit halves on a plate and pour a ladle full of sausage gravy over the top.
- In our house, we typically use 2% milk. If you are using whole milk and you don’t have heavy cream on hand then you can substitute more whole milk for the cream. I would not suggest using skim milk for this dish and I would not suggest eliminating the heavy cream if you are using 2% milk